How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RealEstateAnswer Your Own Question
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 27177
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
RealEstateAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a home in Maine an currently live in Florida. The home

Customer Question

I own a home in Maine an currently live in Florida. The home is rented to my daughter and her husband. My daughter currently has a restraining order on him. She is moving on 9/12/15. They were told not to cut any trees on my property a have cut down four. The lease states they need to have renters insurance and never got it. I don't feel comfortable with him being able to go in the house as he has stated that everything in the house belongs to him. What are my rights?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. If they cut down tress after being told not to, then you could sue them for the cost is replacing them and any other damage. Moreover, if they have refused to get renters insurance, as required by the lease, they would be in breach and if they do not get it, subject to eviction. If there is a RO against him, he can not enter the home if she is there or else he would be in violation. As far as after she vacates, if he is on the lease but in violation of a term or condition, then you could give notice and ask him to vacate. If there is no lease in place and they rent month to month, you can terminate the lease upon giving the proper notice as well. He only has a legal right to HIS personal items and can not claim things which are yours. If he does and removes them, you can sue for for those items or the value as well.

Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Real Estate Law Questions