How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex Esquire Your Own Question
Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Real Estate Law Mentor
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Alex Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister and I are co owners of home she has been using

Customer Question

My sister and I are co owners of home she has been using large account that our father has left to pay all expenses out of saying that they will be deducted form total and remaining will be split eequally She is in residence in the house all I am getting is the expense of the house. Can I rent out my half of the house so I have some benefit since she will not buy me out. I know about filing for partition but that is just another expense that I will incur. I feel like I am being held hostage in this situation
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She has been living there and now wants to make many upgrades which she thinks we should split. Since she is working at a law firm and is friends with the attorneys there she is getting free legal services, she seems to be waiting me to file suit against her thus incurring more expenses that is why I was wondering if I could rent out a room to offset expenses that I am incurring.
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 2 years ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Is this a multi unit house, where a separate apartment / unit can be legally rented?