Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

Im renting a home from a couple that lives overseas. In our

Customer Question

Hi im renting a home from a couple that lives overseas. In our lease it says verbadum that we are "basically" responsible for necessary repairs. This weekend our air conditioner went out (we live in Florida). We tried several times to reach our landlord the day it went out but were unsuccessful. Unsure of who was actually going to be responsible for the repairs we went ahead and made the call to have it fixed. The bill was $254 which isn't a big deal but when i confronted the issue with the landlord she screamed at me and told me that i was not to fix anything in her home or i could get out. She has called me several times beligerantly yelling at me about not getting it fixed through her repair company she uses, but no where in the lease was there mention of what to do in this circumtance. We signed a 2 year lease (which im told is considered excessive in the state of fl) if she contines to harrass us over this issue is there anything i can do to ensure she doesnt come after me financially? Am i legally obligated to continue to lease the home for the full 2 years? And was i wrong for having repairs done?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

If you attempted to reach the landlord but were unsuccessful due to them being out of the country, then you would have been justified in using the "repair and deduct" option to have repairs made. It is the landlord's duty to provide you with a contact either to them or to their agent so you can always get in contact with them in the event of an emergency.

.

But this wouldn't have anything to do with the enforceability of the lease and as long as the property is habitable, you wouldn't have any legal grounds to terminate it. However, if the landlord agreed to terminate it in writing, then you could do so if you both simply wanted to end the tenancy.

.

If she contacts you again regarding this in a harassing manner, you can tell her that she has a duty to maintain her property and if you had someone to contact in this situation you would have done so. If she contacts you again regarding this matter, you will file a formal complaint for harassment and seek a restraining order against her. That should scare her into letting matter drop.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks