Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor, multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation & admin
18572087

I won property in an eBay auction. I received the

Customer Question

I won property in an eBay auction. I received the "congratulations you've won"! e-mail, andp paid the seller. He hasn't sent the deed and stopped communicating with me.
So far I am hearing that I need to file small claims in his state of residents. I don't have time to do that. I was wondering if there my be a way I can file a lien on the property so the property can't be 're sold, or is their other options?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Here is the issue, what you can file is a 'lis pendens' against the property which will keep it from being sold. But you'd still need to file it in the state where the property is located in. Therefore you can bundle your filings, file the small claims suit and the lis pendens together, but you do not have the ability to file a lien since there is no evidence under court that you have an interest in the property.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.