Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

Can a buyer or seller opt out of a home purchase at closing?

Customer Question

Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
In short, no. The contract for the sale is binding, unless there are contingencies that have not been fulfilled. So, for example, if financing falls through and the contract has a clause that says it depends on financing, then the buyer could request an extension to see other financing. But there is no general right for either party to change his mind at the closing.
Also, contingencies are nearly always to protect the buyer. The seller doesn't have the ability to cancel.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.