How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask WiseOwl58 Your Own Question
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3732
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
WiseOwl58 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother owns a home in North Carolina. He was stationed

Customer Question

Hi Richard, my brother owns a home in North Carolina. He was stationed there in the army, so when he was discharged he moved back home and leased his home with an option to purchase to a woman who was active duty military. The woman abandoned the property and left behind what is estimated to be between 15-20K in damages to the home. We aren't sure what to do, whether to file a police report or how to proceed.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 2 years ago.

You should file a police report, but you will have to sue the woman in civil court where the property is located to collect damages from her. You should also report the woman to her military commanders since she was active duty and shameful conduct on her part.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best. Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Thanks.