Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I own a property on a" private road" the town owns a park at

Customer Question
I own a property on...
I own a property on a " private road " the town owns a park at the end of the road past my and others properties is the town required to maintain the road under any Maine state law?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
8/21/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the road is private, all of the contiguous landowners to the road is liable for their share of maintenance costs based on the square footage their property has along the road. Unless there is an easement in writing granting the town rights to the road and the easement imposes maintenance requirements on the dominant estate holder (the town) there is no Maine law imposing that liability for maintenance of the private road.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer