How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 30155
Experience:  JA Mentor
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our family has live on property years, the property owner

Customer Question

Our family has live on property for 20 years, the property owner next to ours for 8. last year they had it surveyed and show that a fence was on their property by 3 ft. they will not do a quick deed, what forms to we need to fill with court
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Hi,<br /><br />My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The name of the lawsuit that gives you the right to that portion of the property is called a quiet title action. Missouri Rev. Stat., Section 527.015. This is started by filing a Petition to Quiet Title. This isn't a common enough case for courts to make free forms available online. However, there's a sample on page 6 of this file that might help.

You may also be able to find what you're looking for on or for significantly less money than it would cost to hire an attorney. One benefit to hiring an attorney is that they can send a letter to your neighbor offering to settle the dispute out of court, and they may realize you're serious about this. Another option is to send them a letter, via certified mail, offering to negotiate a settlement. People sometimes do that by looking at the average price per square foot of land in the area, or the cost per square foot based on what the neighbor's paid for the property. They may be more likely to sign a deed if you reimburse them for what they paid for the property.

Once the lawsuit is filed, you'll also record a Lis Pendens with the Recorder of Deeds. This is done so that if the owners try to sell the property or transfer it, the new owners are on notice of the suit (and they can be substituted in as parties, if necessary). Here is a sample Lis Pendens:

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.