RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

This issue is in Hudson County, NJ. We are moving to a new

Customer Question

This issue is in Hudson County, NJ. We are moving to a new apartment. When the apartment was showed to us by a broker, there was a large armoire in the bedroom. The broker said we could do with it what we want -- sell, trash or keep. This was a verbal
conversation. After signing the lease, they now say the owner wants to keep it. We called her out on this. It is not an integral part of the apartment -- it is a piece from Ikea or some other retailer that was installed. There is nothing in the lease about
us having to upkeep furniture or the apartment coming furnished. We haven't spoken to the landlord yet. But we are losing confidence our broker will properly represent us. What is our best option to resolve this? We don't want to start a bad relationship with
the landlord. But we also don't want this piece of furniture in our apartment that we don't want and were told could dispose of.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 2 years ago.
Good morning. If you are represented by a broke,r first speak with them about this and allow them to speak with the owner or their agent, to sort it out. There should have been a reason why your broker said that you could do what you wanted to with it, so now that the owner is saying that it stays, creates minor conflict. Now, if they do not have an answer, then the lease is going to control. If the lease is silent about furniture remaining or your obligation to care for it, then it would need to be removed, since you to not want to assume any liability and it may interfere with your own use of the room and furniture which you want to put in. If needed, to speak with the landlord and advise them of the situation, as them to remove it and if they refuse, then ask them to sign something saying you will not be liable for it or that it will not have any effect on your deposit, if something were to happen.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!