Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I am being assecced $64,000. by my HOA to our community

Customer Question
I am being assecced $64,000...
I am being assecced $64,000. by my HOA for repairs to our community buildings, I had a estimate made of my Rowhouse repairs and it was $9,000. What is happening is we are subsidizing the repairs for the larger buildings in the complex, do I have any legal rights to fight this? I am retired. Thank you, MLuzinski
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
8/17/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer

Unfortunately, this is part of being a member of a Common Interest Development (CID or HOA). You share costs for common interest repairs and fixtures (even if your separate interest doesn't directly benefit from them).

You can review your CC&Rs (or governing documents) and see if there is a clause that exempts your separate interests from paying for the larger structure maintenance (some HOAs do split maintenance costs like this), but unless there is an express waiver for your units from paying these fees, you are going to be responsible for paying your pro-rata share of these fees.

CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer