Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

How do I place a lien on a property

Customer Question
how do I place a lien on a property
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/17/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
Before I answer a bit more detail would be helpful please.
What is the basis of the lien? Do you have a judgment? Are you a contractor?
I have a Judgment, It's a civil judgment from the state of Michigan
I'm not a contractor

Is the property in Michigan?

Anne Kuffler*****BLOOMFIELD HILLS, MI 48013

All you need to do is to file a Notice of Judgment lien with the court and County Recorder's office. It is also served on the judgment debtor. The clerk of the court should have the form available to fill out. Here is the relevant statute:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28qcmyt2od1rkpgajfqgcsqag1%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-600-2805

600.2805 Notice of judgment lien; certification; service.

Sec. 2805.

(1) The clerk of a court that entered a judgment shall certify a notice of judgment lien that has been filed with the court and that includes all of the following:

(a) The case caption and docket number.

(b) The current name and address of the judgment creditor and, if the judgment creditor has an attorney, the attorney.

(c) The name, last 4 digits of the social security or tax identification number, and last known address of the judgment debtor.

(d) The current balance due on the judgment.

(e) The date the judgment was entered, the expiration date of the judgment, and the expiration date of the judgment lien.

(f) The signature of the judgment creditor or the judgment creditor's attorney.

(2) A notice of judgment lien need not include a legal description of the debtor's interest in real property.

(3) Except as provided by subsection (4), a copy of a notice of judgment lien that has been certified under subsection (1) shall be served by certified mail on the judgment debtor at the judgment debtor's last known address. Proof of service shall be filed with the court that issued the judgment.

(4) If the judgment that is the subject of the judgment lien is for $25,000.00 or more, a copy of a notice of judgment lien that has been certified under subsection (1) shall be personally served on the judgment debtor and proof of service filed with the court that issued the judgment.

can you do that for me ?

Unfortunately, state bar regulations would prohibit that.

Here is a link to the form. You will see "Notice of Judgment Lien - MC 94":

https://www.oakgov.com/courts/dc52div4/Pages/civil/general_civil_forms.aspx

The form is fairly straight-forward.

Is it something I can do alone ? how can I get the defendant SSN ?
you can do it yourself.
The SSN can be added later
Loren, Lawyer