Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I currently rent a room in a two bedroom apartment. I

Customer Question
Hello, I currently rent a room...
I currently rent a room in a two bedroom apartment. I originally signed the lease with someone whom I was dating but this person moved out. This person moved out, but kept their name on the lease. this person let one of their family member's move into the space that they occupied. This new resident was not added to the lease. How do I evict this new person who is not on the lease? I reside in Maryland.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
8/16/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Tina, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Tina, Lawyer

Hello and welcome,

You would typically need to provide the roommate with 30 days written notice to terminate a month to month tenancy, unless they are violating your agreement, such as not paying rent.

Here is a link which provides information on the process for evicting a roommate in MD for your reference:

http://www.ehow.com/how_8536285_evict-roommate-maryland.html

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate my service when I have answered your questions so I will be compensated for my time assisting you. Thank you!

Tina, Lawyer