Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

I have negotiated a deal to sell a lot in Quinton VA. It is

Customer Question

I have negotiated a deal to sell a lot in Quinton VA. It is a cash sale. How can I assure the buyer there are no clouds on our title, to minimize (eliminate) the need of a title company for this transaction.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
The providing of an owner's title policy title company is the simplest and most cost effective way to for the buyer to be assured that the title is clear.
Without a title company you would need to hire an attorney to do a title search before and after closing (as was done before the widespread use of title insurance) and that would likely be more expensive that title insurance.
Otherwise, you can only ask the buyer to rely on your word and their ability to sue you if the title is encumbered.
I hope this is helpful to you.  If you have follow up questions feel free to ask.  It is never a problem.
Best regards.