How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41667
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in spokane county, medical lake wa. My neighbor

Customer Question

I live in spokane county, medical lake wa. My neighbor erected a wood fence with the print and slats and nails to show in our front yard and so that their back yard fence looks good. It is 6 feet tall, build on or near the property line, so we have lost our view of the lake unless we go up on a tall deck. We are older now and should sell our home. Without our beautiful lake view it will sell for less and we would like to know if there is anything we can do about the way the back of the fence looks in our front yard and the loss of our lake view. if I can only ask one question, the loss of the lake view is the most important to us.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

I am so sorry you are having to deal with all of this.You need to check here to see if it is on your side of the property line.That would give you legal right to take it down or relocate it.Washington state has no statute that restricts a fence here as long as it is on his side or the property line and is six feet in height.That is not considered illegal in and of itself.So your rights here depend on whether this is on his side of the property.If he has intruded on your property you have right to move the fence or force him to to do so.

But loss of view here unfortunately in Washington is not actionable.Please don't shoot the messenger I wish I could tell you otherwise.

Reference to that.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up, you can ask more than one question.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.

You would have right here to fence your property beside theirs if you don't want to see theirs.That would not be a problem.

Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
More for you here.
Do I need a permit for a fence?
Fences over 7 feet in height require building permits--so he is under the permit requirement..
How high can a fence be?
The height of fences that obstruct sight is limited to 36 inches within residential front and flanking street yards. Cyclone and other fences that do not obstruct sight may be 48 inches in these areas. Fencing is not allowed within the area known as the "clear view triangle" on residential corner lots - contact the Department for further information on the dimensions of this "triangle".
Call here and see if they see any violations, that would help..
Spokane County Building and Planning
1026 West Broadway Avenue
Spokane, WA###-##-####
Office Hours
Monday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Friday 7:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Phone: (###) ###-####
Fax: (###) ###-####
TDD: (###) ###-####
WATS: 1-800-27-CODES
Email: Spokane County Building and Planning Department
This is their web site above they regulate fences.
Thanks again for the chance to help today.

Related Real Estate Law Questions