How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask WiseOwl58 Your Own Question
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3686
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
WiseOwl58 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We live in Mecklenburg County- Charlotte NC. Ours is a

Customer Question

We live in Mecklenburg County- Charlotte NC. Ours is a single family home. Our backyard falls under the Tree Save zone. Our home was just 10 ft away from huge tall pine trees leaning towards the house. We went ahead and removed 5 Pine Trees from our backyard without Permits from the County. Are we looking at a huge fine due to a Civil Penalty ? What if we replant some trees? Sec. 21-124. - Penalties.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 2 years ago.

No, if the trees were in danger of falling, you are not subject to fines. You should try to get a certified arborist, maybe the tree cutters themselves, to give you a statement to that effect to protect yourself if the government tries to fine you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The city of Charlotte NC- Mecklenburg County is very strict about protecting the Tree Canopy and are pretty strict about the Tree Save Zone. Since the trees are already cut down, getting a statement from a Certified Arborist might not work. Are you sure a statement from the Tree Company themselves would work? Our laws are different from California's when it comes to trees... The link below mentions permits can be issued only by "the city engineering and property management department before the activities commence"(as per the link below- Section Permits)