How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry Esquire Your Own Question
Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  JA Mentor, multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation & admin
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Dimitry Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I did something stupid. I bought property but allowed

Customer Question

I did something stupid. I bought property but allowed boyfriend to be put on deed. Now just a few months later he left . he paid nothing on land or improvements. Do I have a legal recourse except buying him out. I sunk all my savings Inot this and have no money to buy him out especially at what he says is the improved land is worth
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

I am genuinely sorry that you find yourself in this situation. The answer that I will provide you with will not be favorable, so I ask that you do not blame the messenger. Once someone is listed on the deed, even if they put down zero, they are entitled to a proportionate share. The only way to remove him is either with consent (since this was not a mistake as far as intent when he was placed there), or with a buy out. But you cannot claim full rights even if you bought and paid for everything, he is still entitled to his share.


Dimitry, Esq.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is he entitled to half what the land cost or half of what it's valued at with improvements
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.


He is entitled to half of the actual value, not the land value. And please keep in mind that he may refuse to be bought out--he can refuse to be removed from title outright.


Dimtiry, Esq.

Related Real Estate Law Questions