How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 35003
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including real estate law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On 1/6/2005 I was awarded a civil judgement in the amount of

Customer Question

On 1/6/2005 I was awarded a civil judgement in the amount of $4500. for non-refund of security payment by the North Valley Justice Court. At that time we were told her assests were tied up in a Trusteeship to her daughter. I just found out the landlord has residence in Texas and an asset on a Mobile home property there of $58,000. Can I file a civil lein against her property in Texas.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
I am sorry for this dilemma.
You can...that is, it is possible to enforce the judgement in TX. HOWEVER, you must first "domesticate" the judgement in the TX court.
Lets back up...
Under the "full faith and credit" clause of the US Constitution, TX will give credit to the Arizona judgment. But before you can enforce that AZ judgment in TX, first you must go into the TX court (in the county where the property is located) and request that court adopt the AZ judgment. As part of this process you will need to give notice to the defendant (SO they can show up for the hearing). And you will need to file a motion with the best to use a local attorney to prepare and present this for you.
Once the TX court domesticates then you can enforce the lien against the property
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.