How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KimberlyLaw Your Own Question
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 4219
Experience:  13 years of experience in real estate law: Foreclosures, Landlord-Tenant, Condo/Coop, Property Law, Deeds, Purchases/Sales, Estates.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
KimberlyLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I are in joint tenancy with my former step

Customer Question

My husband and I are in joint tenancy with my former step father who is 85 and he recently allowed two transients to move into our barn. We told the city who made them move out of it, although they are still there. We had stored many items in the barn and we had material with which to remodel our other properties. The transients took our items out of the barn and trashed some and others they sold or got rid of. We called the police who stated that if my former step father said they could have the items, then they could have them and they refused to allow us to file a burglary or anything else, such as trespassing as my step father has all the rights they said to do with our items anything he so desires. We also have a mobile home on the land that we rent out. A person moved recently and left items, which those transients went to our mobile and helped themselves to take. Can we do anything and if so, what? Thanks! Amber at***@******.***
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 2 years ago.
Hello Amber,
I am happy to help you out with your question.
It does get tricky when there is more than one owner to a property who are not on the same page. The problem is that the police are technically correct that if your step father allows someone to do something on the property, there is nothing you can do. You all have 100% right to use the property in full, so one owner alone is enough to give someone permission to do something.
Your recourse here is actually against your former step father. I know you probably don't want to go down that road, but legally that is where your rights are. You could sue him for the value of the property that he allowed to be taken. That's going to be your only shot here.
Best of luck,
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 2 years ago.
Hello there,
Just reaching out to remind you that I have answered your question.
Please take a look at your answer and let me know if you have any follow up questions. If not, please close it out so that I get paid for my work with you.
Thank you and take care,
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for using Just Answer.
If you don't close our your question then the system will keep your money and I will not get paid for my time working with you. I also won't get paid unless I receive positive feedback.
Thanks so much and take care,