WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
62735101

TJ, After reading some of the questions and answers I'm

Customer Question

Hi TJ,
After reading some of the questions and answers I'm still unclear. The dwelling I live in is an illegal dwelling, that is, it is NOT permitted and only appears on the plans as a carport. I do not have a written rental agreement. The owner lives on the property in the main (permitted) house. To my understanding the owner could not evict me legally otherwise he would get red tagged, and I may be able to countersue for the rent I have already paid for on illegal dwelling. Is that correct?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 1 year ago.

Under California law, if the property is as you describe it, you are correct that the municipality would red tag it if you were to be evicted, therefore it appears that you are safe from eviction under California law.

Good luck to you. Please rate the answer 4 or 5 and close out the quesiton. Thanks and all the best.