Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I sold my condo on May 5, 2015 and the title company sent a

Customer Question
hud statement to the management company...
I sold my condo on May 5, 2015 and the title company sent a hud statement to the
management company but on July3. 2015
they deducted 1,400.00 for fees for July, August, Sept. 2015 and are refusing to refund the 1,400.00
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
8/9/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts to opt out of participation in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
I am sorry to hear about this situation. Can you please tell me:
1) WHO deducted $1,400? The title company, or someone else?
2) Was there an outstanding balance for COA fees or anything else?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
The management company for the hoa deducted the 1,400.
There was no outstanding balances.
The current owner also paid the fee of I,400 for the 3rd quarter 2015.
Thank you.
First, someone in your situation indeed wants to check to ensure that there were no outstanding assessments, fees, etc, owed to the HOA by the seller. According to Florida Statutes 718.116:
"Assessments; liability; lien and priority; interest; collection.—
(1)(a) A unit owner, regardless of how his or her title has been acquired, including by purchase at a foreclosure sale or by deed in lieu of foreclosure, is liable for all assessments which come due while he or she is the unit owner. Additionally, a unit owner is jointly and severally liable with the previous owner for all unpaid assessments that came due up to the time of transfer of title. This liability is without prejudice to any right the owner may have to recover from the previous owner the amounts paid by the owner. For the purposes of this paragraph, the term “previous owner” does not include an association that acquires title to a delinquent property through foreclosure or by deed in lieu of foreclosure. A present unit owner’s liability for unpaid assessments is limited to any unpaid assessments that accrued before the association acquired title to the delinquent property through foreclosure or by deed in lieu of foreclosure."
So if there were such balances, I am afraid that COA (or the management company as the HOA's agent) had the right to recover past due fees from either the PAST or CURRENT owner.
Now if there were NOT any such balances, one may have to sue the COA (or threaten to do so) to get the money back. I say the COA because the management company is acting on the COA's behalf. One may have to go to small claims Court - see here. Often, simply a letter threatening to sue may do the trick.
Good luck.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Ely, Counselor at Law