Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

First let me say I am disabled with a head injury and

Customer Question

First let me say I am disabled with a head injury and probably cannot answer the question exactly the same twice. I think the neighbor across the street is spying on me. The one girl that lives there approx. 300' away told me I use my microwave an awful lot. Normally the home and windows are closed and I can barely hear it if I am on the back porch. The owner of that property is Jo Anne Morales. And recently she has became friends with the Justice of the Piece (***** *****) who lives behind me approx. 300' away. When I go out back to burn a fire she stands over by her fence for hours and stares this direction. if I move out of sight she calls the Fire Dept. and the Fire Chief calls me on the phone and asks if I am watching the fire. He has been called so many times and he knows I watch my fire. What kind of personal privacy should I be able to expect? A lot of this was caused by my mothers death 7yrs. ago. But the succession is over and finished.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In general, if the neighbors are standing somewhere that they have a legal right to be, they can watch you as the please. That is not illegal. The neighbor continuously peering over the fence and reporting on you, that could potentially be deemed invasion of privacy if she is reporting false information about you not watching the fire and seek any damages, but a court cannot order someone to stop looking in your direction or stop them from looking over your fence I am sorry to say, there just is no law providing for that as long as they are not trespassing onto your property.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If they have sound amplification devices across the street is it legal to point them my direction?
Thank you for your reply.
If they have sound amplification devices, those are not illegal, but it is illegal to install electronic listening devices in your home. Anything that can be heard from their property, with or without amplification, is legal as there is no reasonable expectation of privacy to those communications. Those amplification devices, by the way, do not go through glass or wood, so they would not penetrate your home itself.