Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

My boyfriend and I have rented a house together. Last week

Customer Question
My boyfriend and I have...
My boyfriend and I have rented a house together. Last week when I got home he had changed the locks on the home. He put my stuff outside on the driveway and in a trailer. He would not allow me to drive my vehicle that we purchased jointly. I emailed the lNird and asked her to help me regain access to the house. The landlord ignored me and never responded. What should I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/9/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Irwin Law, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer

I'm sorry to hear that your relationship took such a bad turn. Your landlord has no legal duty to intervene with your co-tenant. Since this occurred a week ago, I presume that you have relocated and no longer need to go back to the prior rental. You can sue the ex-BF in small claims court for the cost of your move and any other damages you may have sustained because of a wrongful eviction. Unfortunately, you cannot get your name off of the lease, or any car finance contract. You have to hope that he makes the payments on time.

Irwin Law
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer