How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Texas an own one-half of a duplex property. The

Customer Question

I live in Texas an own one-half of a duplex property. The owner of the other half of the building has made foundation repairs that have subsequently caused major damage to my half ot the building. What right do I have to hold their person and the company that made the repairs accountable.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.

Both the owner, and their contractor are liable to you for the damages.

To make things easier for you, you can simply sue the owner and allow them to name their contractor as a cross-defendant.

I would recommend hiring an attorney for this type of action, you are going to need to manage not only the civil procedure side of this, but also construction experts and expert witness testimony, all of which can get a little complex very quickly (the goal is to resolve it quickly, the more prepared you are up front, the more likely you are to reach a resolution quickly - filing "pro per" by yourself may seem cheaper up front but likely will end up costing you more later on - and can potentially risk your case).

You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).


Related Real Estate Law Questions