How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 32999
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Under what circumstances can a renter get out of a

Customer Question

Under what circumstances can a renter get out of a contract? ! apartment was flooded. My landlord is doing very little to help me and basically refusing to take responsibility for it but is blaming my cluster for not being aggressive to remove the water. They blame me for the clutter as to why they won't do more. Is there any way I can get out of my lease?
Willie Fay Bobo
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
Before I answer a bit more detail would be helpful please.
The landlord is required to provide a safe and habitable premises in return for the rent. Is the landlord not repairing things they are required to? Is the premises habitable?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are blaming me for not being able to fix things. I am living here but am concerned about my health due to the fact I think there is a strong chance of mold which they refuse to admit to. I took today off yo declutter but I doubt it will be to their standards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am staying here but not sure how safe it is. They are blaming me for not being able to get more water out of the carpet until I declutter. They also refuse to admit there might be mold in the apartment due to extensive water damage?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.
While there may not be enough evidence to declare a constructive eviction and terminate the lease, you may have grounds to declare a breach of the lease and sue for money damages in small claims court.
Small claims court is designed to be user friendly so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court.
I hope this is helpful to you. If you have follow up questions feel free to ask. It is never a problem.
Best regards.