How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 102601
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a condominium and rent a room to a woman. After

Customer Question

I own a condominium and rent a room to a woman. After approximately 9 months, she came into my bedroom and stole several items (that were not expensive) - one was a bottle of medication.
She has also lied to me.
I'm having locks installed on my bedroom door and my renter's bedroom door. We do not have a written agreement. I don't have records, she just pays me cash every month for rent.
In the near future I will prepare my condo to rent and I will move out. My current tenant pays $550. I can rent my condo for $1700.
Can I present ;;her with a written 30 day notice to vacate and tell her I'm getting thmy condo ready to rent in the future?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts to opt out of participation in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
I am sorry to hear about this situation. A landlord does not owe the tenant an explanation for terminating the lease in a month to month lease. So one simply can give her a 30 days written notice (60 if she has lived there for a year or more, under Civil Code Section 1946.1b), and then once that notice runs out, she has to leave.
If she does not, she may be evicted. Actually, she can even be removed without a formal eviction process. She is a lodger. While lodgers generally have the same rights as tenants, when the owner has given the lodger proper notice and the time has expired, the lodger has no further right to remain in the owner's house and may be removed as a trespasser.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.