Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I just had a new concrete driveway poured. I had asked the

Customer Question
I just had a new...
I just had a new concrete driveway poured. I had asked the contractor to widen my approach. He didn't. He said because of Des Moines city rules. Never mind about not telling me about this before he did the work, I just want to know if this was true. I haven't been able to find out anything online myself about city rules. Thanks for any help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
8/5/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Was he talking about the set back rules? What rules specifically was he talking about? Also, did you check with the building inspector?
How wide is your driveway, as there is a maximum width in Des Moines?
the entry way to our driveway is 16 feet. it gets wider after that. but he made a v shape down to 11 feet 7 feet out from the road and then v'd it out to 16 feet again to meet the original curbs. it was a strait 16 foot shot before. he made it even worse. from 16 to 11 feet, at least 7 feet from the road. didn't make sense to me. I'm sure his quote included extra charge to grind the curbs to make it wider, but that didn't happen.
I'm sorry but I don't know what rule he was talking about. And I didn't talk with any building inspector. I've tried to find Des Moines rules online but haven't been able to find them.
Thank you for your reply
The Des Moines code states no driveway can exceed 20 feet in width or exceed 25% of your front yard area. However, if you are not at that width, something here is not right (of course I am not able to look at your deed to see the plot map of your lot). You need to take this to the local zoning and building office with the driveway plans, because it sounds like the contractor did not do something right as you are not near the maximum width and sounds like he is hiding behind making up some law. If it is as I suspect you can sue him for the cost to fix what he has done.
thank you. will advise.
Thank you for your reply.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer