How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RealEstateAnswer Your Own Question
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 28366
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
RealEstateAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a tenant can not afford the rent on an apartment and has

Customer Question

If a tenant can not afford the rent on an apartment and has signed a lease for that apartment for one year can anything be done. He really needs to move to a less expensive apartment at the same complex.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 2 years ago.

Have they spoken with the landlord/management about this yet?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
they said since he had signed a one year contract, the only change he could make was to upgrade And then stated that due to the "fair housing law"', they were unable to let him move to a less expensive apartment.
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 2 years ago.

The fair housing law protects someone against discrimination, so I am unsure what they are referring to, when they say they can only upgrade a tenant, not downgrade them. It sounds as though they are trying to up sell the tenant and make excuses. The landlord/management can end the lease if they wanted to and place the tenant in another property. Another option would be for the tenant to ask to pay a fee to break the lease and move out or to find another tenant to sublease from them. The lease is binding, so even though they can not afford to stay and pay the rent, the obligation is still there.

Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 2 years ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!