How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Seattle Scott Your Own Question
Seattle Scott
Seattle Scott, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 961
Experience:  I have 25 years experience as a Washington State Real Estate Attorney
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Seattle Scott is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a second home in Nevada and my son was on the title.

Customer Question

I have a second home in Nevada and my son was on the title. He passed several months ago and I need to remove him from title. Recorder's office said an affidavit and official copy of the death certificate. Does that sound right. For some reason I was thinking a quit claim deed?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Seattle Scott replied 2 years ago.

Sound right if a joint tenancy right of survivorship form of ownership the two of you had. For a quit claim deed you need it signed before death. The affidavit of survivorship will recite the particulars of the joint tenancy deed and make reference to the attached death certificate. In other words the affidavit you sign will say the joint tenant on the deed is the same person on the death certificate.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you!!!
Expert:  Seattle Scott replied 2 years ago.

You are welcome