How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41027
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a spouse list a home in Wisconsin with out consent of

Customer Question

Can a spouse list a home in Wisconsin with out consent of the other. The other spouse is deployed. And what do I do for her? I just received poa.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.
Here you can sign and list a home here with a valid POA from the spouse.You will need to furnish the POA to the realtor and title company.Make sure it authorizes you to sell real estate and that it is signed and notarized by spouse.
But this is certainly possible the POA authorizes you to act and sing on behalf of absent spouse and complete the sale here in Utah.
It should not be a problem to do so.You will just need to show the original POA and they will make a copy everywhere.
This is actually pretty common in such situations where one person is out of the country and really the reason the law provides for a POA.
I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's for the state of Wisconsin. Her spouse listed the home without her conscent. She just sent me her poa. What do I do? And can he?
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Sorry thanks for clarifying.
He cannot sell it if you are the POA.You may write the realtor informing them that you are the legal POA and you did not consent to any listing or selling here.That should be enough for the realtor to drop the spouse here and unlist it.
Again sorry for the confusion.This isn't going anywhere once you advise the realtor he has no authority for the spouse and the true situation.
Thanks for letting me clarify here, this is a different scenario and he cannot do this as you have the POA.Just contact the realtor they will want a letter to put the kabosh on this.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you have more follow up, it is not a problem.
If you can leave a positive rating when we are done it is always sincerely ***** ***** appreciated.Thanks again.

Related Real Estate Law Questions