Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I need to learn the basics in taking raw land, developing it

Customer Question
into lots and selling the...
I need to learn the basics in taking raw land, developing it into lots and selling the individual lots for buyers to build homes.
Typically what are the steps?
Is there someplace on the web that will walk me through it?
What is typically included? zoning? roads? sewer? electricity? gas? water?
What else?
I need to fully understand the process.
Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
8/4/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Irwin Law, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer

Good morning Roger. Typically, the basic steps are: 1. Acquire the land; 2. Zone the land; 3. Have an engineer design the development and plat the lots; 4. Have an attorney obtain plat approval from local officials; 5. Sell the lots. That's it in a nutshell. The devil is in the details. This might help: http://dev-tips.com/5-important-components-subdivision-development/ Good luck.

Irwin Law
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer