How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 30350
Experience:  JA Mentor
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I get my landlord to observe the "right of notice" to

Customer Question

How do I get my landlord to observe the "right of notice" to enter my apartment?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
Entering a tenant's property at will without notice, unless there's an emergency, is a breach of the right to quiet enjoyment of the premises. S.C. Code of Laws, Section 27-40-530. The tenant could actually sue for damages, plus an injunction against entering in the future. Once there's a court order, every time they enter in violation of the statute, they're in contempt of court. You can request additional damages, and if it happens enough, a judge could actually throw them in jail.
Another option, if you prefer to avoid going to court, is to see if there is a tenants' rights organization in your area that will send the landlord a "Cease and desist" letter on your behalf, letting them know that you WILL sue if this behavior continues.
It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.