How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RealEstateAnswer Your Own Question
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 27227
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
RealEstateAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a home that I bought ,000 I put 155,000 down

Customer Question

Hi- I have a home that I bought for 365,000 I put 155,000 down and around 25,000 for remodel. This was a home I was going to retire at. I had to close my business and got in finacel trouble my mom offered to help me out and get the house out of my name so it would be safe from The dept collectors and the IRS plus brought my payment down 400 dollars. The agreement was home was mine just not on paper and all I had to do was make the payment. I gifted 58,000 and sold home to them for 270,000. It took over 3 months to close and a lot of shifting of things and hoping a lean would not be put on it. So it closed over 3 weeks ago and I have been fighting with my mom and her boyfriend as he had to be on loan to because she ended up needing him to be. They changed locks after it closed with all my belongings in it and won't let me in. Now that don't want to accept payments from me and now say it's there's . I'm need to know what i should do. I would off never done this if I new this is was they were going to do.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good morning. Just to be clear, you have a written agreement with them, evidencing everything that would have and how this "deal" would be structured?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All verble and some texts they would not do an agreement on paper.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information. Since there is nothing in writing, to really evidence the terms and conditions of this deal and agreement, there would be a presumption since they are on title, that they own the home, can change the locks and do not have to let you in. However, it does not give them a legal right to keep your personal items, since they have nor maintain any ownership interest in them, so you could sue both of them for the damages suffered, in not returning these. If that happens, you will need and want to include, the bigger issue, which is the home and how they essentially tricked and conned you into doing this, giving up your ownership interest through fraud or misrepresentation. As you shared, the purpose was to protect the home and allow you to remain there and what has happen, contradicts what your intent was. Now, if you have text messages, you can use that along with your own testimony, to prove your case but they are likely going to contest and object to this, so legal counsel is certainly needed,to represent your best interest
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought it was ok she was my mom. I'm shocked I have lost all my money in my home all my belongings and my home.
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it is shocking that a parent would do this to you, but if you want the home back and to undo all this, the Judge has to find in your favor and force ownership back to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like they get to get away with this then. My life was in that home.
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure why they would do this and lie and mislead you. For them to turn around and do this, would lead me to believe they had the intent ahead of time to trick you to gain ownership of the home. Moreover, to not let you back in the home to get your belongings, as is very suspicious.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They signed my name on some papers also forged my name to get Electric put in there name.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see now what was happening but I was trying to safe my home
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
If you did not authorize or allow this, you can contact them and report the fraud.
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Real Estate Law Questions