How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 36981
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I paid off the mortgage on my ex-wife's house with an agreement

Customer Question

I paid off the mortgage on my ex-wife's house with an agreement to pay back the loan over several years. She recently passed away leaving a large amount owed to me. How can I file a lien on the property to prevent her new husband from selling the property.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can..If there was no signed Note from her over to you for the debt, you will have to file suit against her estate for the debt and get a judgment against it if the executor won't voluntarily repay you. As part of the case, you can file a "lis pendens" against the house, which is a notice of pending legal action, and that will create a cloud on the title that will scare away any potential buyers until the case is resolved..You would need to act quickly to get suit and lis pendens filed because there is nothing that would prevent him from trying to sell the house as he settles her estate..Let me know if you have any further questions...thanksBarrister

Related Real Estate Law Questions