Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I reside in a home that my soon to be ex-husband & I use to

Customer Question

I reside in a home that my soon to be ex-husband & I use to share he stopped paying mortgage and I found out my name is ***** ***** loan but only on deed do I have any rights has a tenant to avoid getting evicted from the home until I can find suitable housing for me & my children?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can..If you are on the deed, then you are a part owner of the property and the bank would have to foreclose on the property, force a sale of it, then the new owner actually pursue a formal eviction action against you to force you to vacate the property. .This could take anywhere from 4-8 months depending on where in the foreclosure process it is before they could force a sale of the property. Then about another month before the new owner could get a judgment of eviction against you to have the sheriff physically force you to vacate...thanksBarrister