How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RealEstateAnswer Your Own Question
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 27268
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
RealEstateAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We were in a recovery house called Oxford Houses. There was

Customer Question

We were in a recovery house called Oxford Houses. There was a month to month lease on the house. The house is going up for sale today due to foreclosure. Does the Oxford House have any right to throw tenant out of said house?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 2 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good morning. How long were you renting for? Did you not know or receive any notice of the foreclosure?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes we did twice and the OxfordHouse people said Don't worry about it. We lived there two years clean and sober and the Oxford people kicked us out last night told us we have 15 minutes to leave and all our belongings are in there do they have any right to do that we have not signed any contract with them We are going back into the house today They said we can be arrested for tresspassing We are going in regardless to get are belongings
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They kicked us out because we bought a grill and a tv with our money
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 2 years ago.
Good morning. No, they can not simply throw you out and call the police. In order for you to have to move, legally, there needs to be a court order signed by the Judge, advising of the same. You would first need to be served with it and then if you fail to leave, the Sheriff could step in and remove you. You are a tenant and if they want you out, need to be evicted. Even though the foreclosure is still going on and the home will be sold today, the buyer will step in as the new owner and would need to evict you, if they want you out and not rent to you. If they kicked you out because you bought a grill and tv and that was a violation of the lease agreement, they would be a different issue with the foreclosure and again, they would need to go through the process to get you out and can not use self help to simply throw you out. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The police are here the situation escalated
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 2 years ago.
What are they saying? Is there any type of court order ?

Related Real Estate Law Questions