How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask WiseOwl58 Your Own Question
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3675
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
WiseOwl58 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bought property in North Carolina in 2005 and put my then

Customer Question

I bought property in North Carolina in 2005 and put my then boyfriends name on the deed. We split up a couple years later. He signed a notorized document stating I purchased the property with the money I received from the death of my father acknowledging that I was the sole owner and he waived all rights recorded with Pitt Co government in NC. The document states I was selling the property and he was not to get any proceeds from the sale. I have finally got a buyer for the land but they said he and his now wife has to sign off on the deed. He is willing to sign but will not include his wife stating she was not a part of that and will not involve her. Can't the notorized document act as a quit deed? and isn't the property considered premarital assets for him?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the notarized document itself will not act as a quitclaim deed, but with the notarized document, you will be able to go to a judge in North Carolina in the county in which the property is located and get a court order that will be as good as a quitclaim so that you can sell the property free and clear of any claims by the ex-boyfriend and his current wife. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best. Please rate this 4 or 5 and close out the question. Thanks.

Related Real Estate Law Questions