Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

What is the law in Virginia on squatters rights. A home has

Customer Question

What is the law in Virginia on squatters rights. A home has been empty for a couple of years and can't find any information on the property. The sign on the home has Bank of America as title holder on foreclose but the bank has said that they have no information on the property. Can a family move into the home and do the repairs that are necessary and what length of time would they have to live in the home before they could claim it?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
If you are referring to adverse possession you would need to move into the property, treat it as exclusively your own, pay the taxes and continue uninterrupted for 15 yrs.
Then, if someone were to try and force you out you file a petition to quiet title and claim ownership through adverse possession.
It normally does not happen that way for abandoned homes since someone usually pops up with legal title within 15 yrs.
I hope this is helpful.  If you have any follow up questions feel free to post them.  It is never a problem.
Thank you.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?