How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 102142
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a judgment on my credit report. I am having to move

Customer Question

Hi I have a judgment on my credit report. I am having to move because the house we live in is not up to code and the landlord does not want to fix anything. It has over 18 violations. This judgement has been over 5 years. I just want it off but every time I call to set up an arrangment I get turned off because of how they talk to me
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.I am sorry to hear about this situation. Can you please clarify:1) What does the JUDGMENT have to do with your landlord/tenant issue?2) What are you asking here exactly; what is your question? Are you asking how to resolve the judgment? Or what?This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me clarify. I want to settle the judgment. I have made attempts to do so. Every time I call to set an arrangement, I get discouraged, because they talk to me like I am nothing. So yes, can you help me with another solution?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
I see. But again: What does the JUDGMENT have to do with your landlord/tenant issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The judgment has nothing to do with it. It was just detailed information.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Ah, thank you kindly. Okay, allow me sent this (final) clarification request:1) can you afford to pay the judgment? Anything close to it?2) Have you formally challenged the judgment on your credit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can not afford the whole amount which is 1600
I have disputed on my credit report. I am not sure if that is the same thing as challenging it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can afford to pay 100.00 every month
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I am afraid you may not like my answer. There is no "sure fire way" to get rid of a judgment. The legal system makes it very difficult to get rid of it unless they agree to either a payment plan, or you simply pay out the whole thing. The only thing I can think of otherwise i to formally challenge it with the credit bureaus themselves. This is an arbitrary process wherein you send a letter to each of the bureaus, essentially disputing the credit history. (You may also dispute this information online via the bureau’s website, however, with this option, you do not have the ability to send proof of documents to show your position and simply have about 120 characters to explain your stance.)The credit bureau has thirty days to investigate your dispute and respond to you, in writing, with the results of the investigation. Any data you provided about the inaccuracy of the information will be forwarded to the creditor. The creditor is then required to respond back to the bureau. Then, the bureau makes an arbitrary decision based on the evidence provided. If the bureau agrees with you, the credit history is taken off. Also, if the creditor does not respond, then the bureau makes a default decision in your favor. Once the investigation is complete, the credit bureau will provide you with the results, along with a free copy of your credit report if the dispute resulted in a change. You can request that the credit bureau send a correction notice to any company that accessed your credit report within the past six months.If this works, the credit bureaus may take off the judgment, although it would still be legally enforceable if they wish to garnish wages, levy an account, or lien a titled property, for example.Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was great information. I do have an additional questions. while the investigation is in process will it still show up on my report?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your kind words. Yes, while the investigation is in progress, the judgment continues to show up, although it would be marked as DISPUTED which still hurts the point calculation, but allows for subjective consideration if the report is being reviewed by human eyes.Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Related Real Estate Law Questions