CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
71563194

I am trying to sell a mobile home in Frederick MD and any new

Customer Question

I am trying to sell a mobile home in Frederick MD and any new tenant must be approved by the owner/landlord. Currently I have a hispanic couple interested and they have applied to the landlord as required.
The landlord has informed me that he will be in touch with his legal people to determine if he is required to rent (property rent) to people whom he can not communicate with due to a language barrier. They (the interested couple) do not speak english and the landlord does not speak spanish.
Do I have the right to sell to this couple? We used a friend (and neighbor) as an interpreter to transact the agreement.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
The landlord is opening himself up to a HUD housing discrimination complaint (http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/topics/housing_discrimination).This is not a valid basis to disapprove a lease assignment, and if the landlord refuses, you can file suit against him for breach of contract and argue that he the determination for the assignment was an abuse of discretion.