How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 37041
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a senior citizen applies Tax Exemption in the

Customer Question

If a senior citizen applies for Property Tax Exemption in the State of Washington, does the State of Washington hold a Lien on the property if say; the property is sold or in the case of the property owner's death & the property is left to their adult children?
Would a party buying the property or has had it left to them in a Will/Trust have to pay back to the State of Washington the Senior Citizen's Exempt property Taxes the aforementioned Seniors did not pay because they qualified & signed up for the Senior Citizens Exemption property tax?
Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Barrister and I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can..The exemption is just that, an exemption from tax. It isn't a delayed tax or deferred tax and as long as the senior citizen owned the property, they would be entitled to the exemption. Once the property was transferred out of their name, the exemption would expire and the new owner would resume paying the normal tax rate..So if the exemption had already been applied for the year with the taxes waived, then if the owner passed and left it to the children who did not qualify, the taxes would be prorated at the normal amount as of the date the property was transferred to someone else and the property would be taxed at the normal non-exempt rate..This is a link to a handy guide and questions and answers regarding the program:.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so very much I've noticed all Gov. type forms or descriptions are so confusing only a licensed Attorney can possibly understand them, certainly not Senior Citizens that have been Horse Trainers. My Son n law is a Prosecutor & I'm he sure gets tired of my asking legal questions, especially in areas that don't pertain to his expertise'. Thanks again, have a nice day wherever you are.
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome. Glad to help any time. And yes, that is what the attorneys get paid take simple things and make them very confusing with legal jargon so only attorneys can understand it.....thanksBarrister

Related Real Estate Law Questions