J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
64316804

We have been asking our HOA to repair a wall sine 2007. Now

Customer Question

We have been asking our HOA to repair a wall sine 2007. Now 8 years later, tHey have finally decided to do it. On the outside of the wall were several large nice trees providing shade and privacy. They were not the cause of the leaning wall. The HOA informed us that they would need to clear 3 feet inside the wall (on our property) in order construct a new wall. I came home today and found that all the large trees on the outside of the wall had been cut down to the ground. Now we have no shade and no privacy from a very busy street behind our unit. This is going to reduce our property value, increase our cooling bill. Do we have any recourse?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I look forward to providing you information.Please note:(1) this is general information and is not legal advice. I never propose a specific course of action. There is no attorney-client relationship or privilege that is formed when communicating to an expert on this site. The site repeats this disclaimer numerous times. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and(2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer. I am sorry you are dealing with this situation. Unfortunately, unless the trees were on your property and belonged to you, there is likely no recourse against the HOA for cutting down trees. Having said that, there is always grounds to file a lawsuit against another for damages sustained as a result of another person/entities actions. Meaning, if you can find an aggressive local attorney to sue the HOA seeking damages for reduced value and increase energy bills, you never know how a judge or jury will decide the case. However, this is not a slam dunk case by any means and the general rule is going to be if the HOA planted the trees the HOA can remove the trees. All my best &encouragement.Kindly remember the only way experts receive any credit at all forspending time with customers is if you click on ok, good or excellent serviceeven though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. You mustcomplete the rating for the expert to receive any credit. Allstates have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simplyinformation only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does itconstitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish anattorney-client relationship with you.