Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

My wife passed away in June. the mortgage sent me a notice

Customer Question
my wife passed away in...
my wife passed away in June. the mortgage sent me a notice of default 3 day after her passing and my payment at that point was only two days. passed due. they want me out of our home just 47 days after her passing. we live in a mobile home park and the rent and mortgage payment are more than I receive from social security which is my only income now. what can be done and what are my rights? my name is***** and my phone number is(###) ###-#### thank you for your help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
7/20/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Ray, Lawyer
Don hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.They have to file forcible entry and detainer here.They serve you and you can contest this matter.Once you are served ask the judge for continuance of the hearing date.You may still have up to several months before they can sue you and serve you and you get more time prior to hearing.Try to continue the hearing by letter to the judge and delay it as long as you can. You can also see if the rent or mortgage folks will accept a payment plan as well.Not sure they will do this but it is worth a try.This altogether will buy you more time to try and find a solution or at least other housing.You may also consider a room mate that would help with the rent and avoid eviction. I appreciate the chance to help you , sorry for your loss of loved one and circumstances.Thanks again and the best to you.
Tina, Lawyer