Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

In 2009/2010 my husband I experienced financial troubles and

Customer Question

In 2009/2010 my husband I experienced financial troubles and fell behind on our 1st and 2nd mortgages financed by CitiMortgage. After months of communicating and catching up our loans, out of the blue, CitiMortgage reported that our 2nd mortgage was written
off even though that was not what we had expected nor agreed to. At that time I was told that an income statement would be issued for tax reporting purposes because the loan would be considered income. All contact after that, concerning this loan, was severed
until Thursday, July 16, 2015 when I received a letter from Citi demanding the full loan amount by the 16th of August. I don't have any proof, other than confirmation with an employee of Citi, Katie on Friday, July 17, 2015 stating "The last thing I see on
this loan is a 1098 tax statement for 2011, which happens to coincide with my plea that not once did I know that this was still an issue.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello: This isCustomer I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Could you explain a little more?
Have you checked your 2011 Tax Return to see if you have 1099-C issued for this loan?
What is your question?