How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 38200
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am buying my mom a 2 bedroom in an over 55 community. We

Customer Question

I am buying my mom a 2 bedroom in an over 55 community. We decided to have both our names in the place and have joint tenancy with rights of survivorship. In which documents do we have to specify that as we effectuate the purchase?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
You would just need to make sure the the deed listed both of you as owners on the property "as joint tenants with right of survivorship". That would make sure that if mother passed, the property would instantly become your sole property and would not have to go through probate.
So you just need to make sure the lender or closing company has the deed drafted to reflect that you are taking title together as joint tenants.