Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

I am closing on a house on the 23rd of this month . My apartment

Customer Question

I am closing on a house on the 23rd of this month . My apartment lease ends on November 1st thus leaving 3 months left on the lease . I told the apartment manager when I signed up I was looking to buy but I gave her notice of the house being built 2 months ago . Now the house will be completed early and I am closing . I have been told by a friend that if you break a lease to buy a house in Florida 30 days notice is all that is needed . That I should not pay any additional rent for next month ( when I will not occupy ) or any $1500.00 cost for breaking the lease . Any of this true ?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
Does your lease provide for the early termination?
Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no it does not . i would not be asking if I had that .. Is there any situation or law in fla that allows me , with proper notification to not have to pay fines or continue to pay rent for an apt I am not living in because I have left because I have bought a new house . Is there ANYTHING in Florida real estate law that speaks to that ?
Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the
I only asked because there is a statutory provision under FL law which allows for the inclusion of liquidated damages in the lease.
See this link:
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0000-0099/0083/Sections/0083.595.html
Otherwise, you will need to find an acceptable subtenant or negotiate an exit with the landlord because the lease is enforceable until it expires.
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.
Best regards.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service to you.
Thank you.