Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

We own a store in humeston iowa. it previously had no gutters

Customer Question
we own a store in...
we own a store in humeston iowa. it previously had no gutters - we have now added them with a downspout. the shop 2 doors down says it will get water on the back of their property. We can't run the gutter anyplace else. Does she have the right to force us to remove the gutters? we offered to put in a rain catcher but they said that would not suffice.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
7/14/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Dimitry Esquire, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. The answer here depends on ownership of the property. If you own the store and the lot, then you are free to keep the gutters, but if the other locations are being flooded, it is your legal duty to make repairs as the damage is being caused by your property. If you are leasing then the answer will not be favorable, so I ask that you do not blame the messenger. Since you aren't owners of the property you cannot modify or 'improve' the property without the landlord's permission. In that situation the landlord can demand removal and can fine you if you refuse. Sincerely, ***** *****
Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney