RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

I rented my house out this past winter. My Tenant stopped

Customer Question

I rented my house out this past winter. My Tenant stopped paying me in February. I ended up paying all of her expenses through April. She still owes me $3,500. What can I do?
Thanks,
Ron Rinaldi
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 2 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Does she still live there or has she vacated? Also, what expenses did you pay and why did you do this, if she was not paying the rent? I am just trying to get a better idea of what is happening at this time. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
First of all I do not want a monthly membership! I just want to resolve this issue.If that is not possible, cancel my credit card payment and I will go somewhere else
It is not a problem at all and you DO NOT have to sign up for any subscription. This can be a one time thing and that would be it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok...
If you can share with me the information I inquired about above, I would be happy to respond and have your question answered.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just requested a phone call. But to answer your questions, she has vacated. Why did I do this? She was a friend of mine and I was being kind. She kept promising to pay me but never did. I paid for electric, propane heat, snow removal and cable tv. I was in LA for the winter.
Thank you. I am not able to speak over the phone at this time but able to answer your question. Your ability to collect on the money you paid for her expenses depends on if there was an agreement, between you and her, for repayment. I say this because if you did this voluntarily to help her out and she never said at the time she would pay you back, then it would be viewed as a gift/favor and she would not owe the debt. However, if she did promise to pay you back, then you could go after her under the verbal agreement. Now, you mentioned she kept promising to pay you back after the fact and if that was the case, she would have to do so voluntarily as well, since it was after this was already done. However, if you did rent to her and she failed to pay rent, you could sue her for the amount owed, which was never paid, while she lived and there and prior to her vacating and giving the proper notice. If this was a month to month lease, she could not just pick up and leave and would need to give at least 1 months/30 day notice. With that being said, if she stopped paying in Feb and remained through April, never paying, you can try and get that rent from her and then another month for failing to give the proper notice terminating the rental
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, there was a verbal agreement. No lease. How do I proceed?
Based upon the amount, it would likely be a matter for small claims court then. You can proceed and file there and handle the matter on your own. Of course, you want to gather and be able to present evidence, when the time comes, to show that she did agree to pay you back for the expenses you laid out on her behalf.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok...thanks
You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. Thank you.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!