How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55294
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently purchased a home ( Pineallas county Florida) and

Customer Question

I recently purchased a home ( Pineallas county Florida) and I own a home in Martin county Florida that I am renting out.
My daughter is living with me in the new property in Pineallas county and is paying the mortgage while I am paying all the utilities and refurbication of the property ( approx 50-80K).
I have owned the property in Martin County for over 20 years, and do not want to sell it and I do not want to loose the Homestead exemption I have on it. I cannot obtain "TWO" homestead exemptions ( one for each property).
How can I "LEGALLY" add my daughter to the Pineallas county property so "SHE" can obtain / apply for the Homestead exemption ( since she is technically paying the mortgage), and in the event anything happened to me,, she automatically becomes the property ower.
I recently retired and want to insure this is taken care of.
Quick Claim ? Quit claim ? not sure ....
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!
You can sign a quit claim deed transferring her an undivided 50% ownership interest in the property as a joint tenant with right of survivorship. That will give her ownership of the property AND in the event you predecease her, title will automatically vest in your daughter without the need for probate. The quit claim deed needs to be signed by you, witnessed and notarized, and then recorded in the real property records of the city/county in which the property is located.
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!