Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

Is there any way to cancel a contract i signed to purchase

Customer Question

is there any way to cancel a contract i signed to purchase a tub/shower enclosure unit from Bath Fitters after the 3 day cancellation period -- my reason is after checking around other options -- IT IS JUST WAY TOOOOOOO MUCH Money for us to spend $5,676 We are in Michigan. Already gave them $3,000 check which they have cashed. I know I know, but I just do not want to do it now
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
.
Unfortunately, the contract terms control the relationship and if the 3 day cancellation period has expired, then if you terminated you would be in breach of contract.
.
If the contract states something about a breach of cancellation after the 3 day period, then that would be their recourse if you terminated the contract now.
.
If they haven't actually done the install yet, normally they have some cancellation clause that charges you something like a 15-30% "restocking fee", which is just basically a liquidated damages clause..
.
So I would thoroughly read the contract over and see if it has such a clause and if not, contact them and act like a new customer and then ask them about their cancellation policy and what happens after the 3 days if you changed your mind.
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks ! Barrister ! That makes sense. I will try that and get back to you when I contact them tomorrow
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome. Glad to help any time..
.
And there is typically some type of standard "restocking fee" in these contracts just for situations like this..
.
.
thanks