How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 116743
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I obtain free legal documents of officers

Customer Question

How can I obtain free legal documents for election of officers for a condo association? We do not have the money to hire an attorney at this time.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under the MI Condo Act, in pertinent part, MI Statute 559.157, Books, records, contracts, and financial statements; examination; audit or review;
opt-out of requirements of subsection (2).
Sec. 57.
(1) The books, records, contracts, and financial statements concerning the administration and
operation of the condominium project shall be available for examination by any of the co-owners and their mortgagees at convenient times.
If you are seeking records of the association, they must be made available to you for inspection (although they can charge a reasonable fee for copying). If they refuse, your first step without hiring an attorney is filing a complaint to the MI Attorney General and ask for their assistance.
If the MI Attorney General cannot get them to comply, I am afraid that while you cannot afford an attorney, filing suit in court for violation of the MI Condo Act and seeking a declaratory judgment ordering them to provide the information and for your costs and fees (including attorney's fees) to be paid for their violation of the MI law and forcing you to go to court to obtain your rights.

Related Real Estate Law Questions